My job while he was in the hospital (and my mom was there 16 hours/day in Beaumont and 24/7 the two weeks he was in Houston) was to keep up with the house and bills and take care of myself and our pets (and go to rehearsals and performances). I didn't do any of them very well but I got through them all. Here is a ten-day sample of what happened in our house this month:
- Dec 14th & 15th: Dad's been home two days, very weak. Home health (they came every day). Two very long rehearsals for me for Messiah. My 17-year-old cat had a seizure.
- Sunday, 16th: Sing at church in the morning, Messiah performance in the afternoon. Dad's siblings drove over from Houston.
- Monday, 17th: Put my cat to sleep and buried her in the back yard. I'd had her 15 years, since my first semester in law school. Cleaning ladies came to clean the house. I went shopping (not for Christmas, for my mom).
- Tuesday, 18th: Dad still feeling so bad he goes to the cardiologist and they admit him to St. E.
- Wednesday, 19th: Dad in St. E. I had a long church choir rehearsal in the evening for our Christmas concert. My mom, who usually goes to bed at 8pm, went Christmas shopping and didn't get home until 10:30p.m.
- Thursday, 20th: Dad in St. E. He got a pacemaker in the afternoon, anticipated but very suddenly scheduled. My church choir concert in the evening. I had a big solo so I couldn't really skip any of this. My dad made my mom leave him and come to my concert! (He was feeling better already.)
- Friday, 21st: Dad in St. E. Mom and I both got to go to Christmas parties in the evening.
- Saturday, 22nd: Dad in St. E. My brother arrived for the holidays. My mom went to Walmart AGAIN.
- Sunday, 23nd: I sang at church in the morning. Dad came home from the hospital.
Next post: Gearing up for the MP.